Monday, April 29, 2013

Kentucky is the Shire


I'm not a Kentucky native, so I believe I have a little objectivity on this. Anyway, I finally got around to watching The Hobbit movie - or at least the first half hour for now - after a couple of glasses of wine to provide insight. In the opening of the movie (or semi-opening, after the unnecessarily blunt background exposition about the dragon), during the panorama of the Shire and first exposure the Bag-End, it occurred to me how much the Shire resembles my adopted Commonwealth of Kentucky.

It has the green rolling hills. It has the chubby parochial population with a fondness for comfort. It has the convoluted kindred relationships, the fondness for inebriation, and the hospitality contrasted with small-mindedness.

Example - the most Kentuckian video I can think of:


It is a nice place to visit, but not exciting. It is a good place to set off on adventures from.

No comments:

Post a Comment